One of the appetizers I love when going out to eat are Southwest Eggrolls! They are so delicious and I love the crunch of the shell around them! A few weeks ago we were visiting my cousin and decided to try to make a Homemade Southwest Eggrolls which turned out absolutely delicious!
- 1 Zucchini chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Jalapeno chopped and de-seeded
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 bundle of cilantro
- 1 cup corn (frozen)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1/2-1 cup of spinach (frozen)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of cheese
- Vegetable Oil
- 4 Tortillas
- Add Zucchini, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno and olive oil to a pan and cook until vegetables are getting soft.
- Next add cilantro, corn, black beans, spinach, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook until warm.
- Add 1 cup of cheese to the pan and mix until it is starting to melt.
- Warm up Tortillas so that they don't break easily.
- Add everything in the pan to the tortilla and wrap like a burrito.
- In pan heat up Vegetable Oil to pan fry the egg rolls.
- Once the vegetable oil is ready put egg roll fold down to fry. You want to make sure the folded part is down to keep it together better.
- Once the fold side is brown flip and pan fry the other side.
- You can also sit them up on there sides to get the side browned.
- Take out of oil and let sit for a few minutes on a paper towel and then cut and serve.
- We didn't allow our Zuchinni to cook long enough to make it soft. This gave the egg rolls a little extra crunch which we loved!
The first thing we did was to chop up all of our veggies we were going to use to prepare for our egg rolls.
Then you add the zucchini, onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos into the pan with the 2 TBSP olive oil or vegetable oil. You let these start to get soft though our zucchini didn’t get soft which added a little extra crunch to the egg roll which was perfect!
You then add the spices, black beans, spinach, corn, and cilantro to the mix, and let all of this get warm and a little soft.
We then added 1 cup of the cheese to the filling and let that warm for a few. The cheese melts really quick.
We then folded it up like a burrito. A couple of them we had trouble with the tortilla wanting to break so make sure they are warmed well.
We then put them into the oil fold down. You don’t need a lot of oil for this its just pan frying them. When you fry the fold down first it helps to keep the eggroll together.
We then flipped it over and fried the other side. We also put it up on its side and let the sides brown a little bit. Once they were done we took them out of the oil and let them sit on a paper towel to cool for about 5 minutes.
We then cut it in half and it was ready to serve! We served it with some delicious homemade guacamole made by my cousin! It was a perfect meal and it was easy to make! Truthfully I think they taste so much better than the ones you get in restaurants because they taste fresh! These are definitely a crowd pleaser!