German Chocolate Pie
This week I’ve started celebrating Pi Day (March 14th) even though its not until the end of the week! Today I found this delicious recipe on Betty Crocker that is a German Chocolate Pie! It sounded absolutely delicious so I had to try it!
- 1 pre made Pie Crust
- 1 package (4oz) sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1 can (12oz) evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat over to 375 degrees F. Place pie crust in 9-inch pan.
- In saucepan heat chocolate and butter over medium-low heat until melted and mixture can be stirred smooth. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk.
- In medium mixing bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt. In small bowl, mix egg yolks, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Gradually add chocolate mixture to egg mixture, stirring with wire whisk.
- Add chocolate-egg yolk mixture to cornstarch mixture, stirring with whisk.
- Pour filling into crust-lined plate.
- In small bowl, mix coconut and pecans; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed and almost set.
- Cool completely (around 4 hours).
Then make the filling and add it to the pie crust. There are three steps to the filling. First you melt the chocolate and butter together in a pan. You slowly at the evaporated milk to this one it is warmed. Then you add this to the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and almost extract. Once this is thoroughly mixed you add all of this to the sugar mixture and that makes your filling. I thought it would be a little thicker than it was but it baked up well and was so yummy!
Bake for 45-50 minutes. My pie did not puff up like the recipe stated but it tasted amazing!
Once it has cooled for around 4 hours it is ready to serve! This is a delicious and very rich pie! Perfect for parties and get togethers! It is definitely a crowd pleaser!