One of my favorite cupcakes is Red Velvet Cupcakes! These are the perfect Valentine’s treat to me! I just can’t resist them. I have only made them from a box though and decided it would be fun to try to make them from scratch! I found a great recipe over at Chronicles of the “Carrot Top” Mom that I decided looked like would be the perfect recipe to try! I actually made these for a wedding shower but you can check out the printable for the cupcake toppers here.
- 2 1/4 cups flour (I use all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk with 2 teaspoons lemon juice)
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 4 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cold
- 1/4 cup butter, cold
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 16 ounces confectioners’ sugar (approximately 4 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat. Spoon batter into 24 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Gently remove from oven (these are super-moist, and will collapse if you aren’t careful). Cool in pans on wire rack at least 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. (Do not frost until totally cooled, or the frosting will slide off!)
- Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting: With a high powered mixer (stand up mixer if you have one) beat *COLD* cream cheese, butter, sour cream and Pure Vanilla Extract in large bowl until light and fluffy. Scrape bowl, and beat again. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Once smooth, turn beaters to high and whip on high for 5 minutes, until very fluffy.
- Frost the cupcakes generously, and serve at room temperature!
First I mixed the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl, and set this aside until I was ready for it.
I then beat the butter and sugar together. My butter was warmed in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
I added the eggs one at a time like the recipe said. Which each egg the batter got smoother.
I then mixed in the sour cream, milk, food color, and vanilla. It had a bright red color at this stage but it got darker as I went on.
I then gradually mixed in the dry ingredients.
I started putting the batter into the cups. Once all my trays were filled I baked them for about 20 minutes.
Once they were baked I let them cool for about an hour. I think I moved them too much because they all flattened out, but they still tasted awesome so it didn’t seem to be that big of a deal.
I then iced them. For these I just plopped some on and spread it out with a knife. Normally I try to pipe my cupcakes but I didn’t really want to do that with these!
I then added my cute valentines cupcake toppers to top them off! I love these toppers with the red velvet cupcakes!
I also made some toppers for a friends wedding shower to go with these cupcakes! This is such a great recipe and everyone loved them! I will definitely be making these again!
Where I Party:
Show Off Friday, Inspire Me Please, Friday’s Five Features, Freedom Friday, Fancy This Friday, Inspiration Spotlight, Pin Worthy Project Party, Let’s Get Real, Friday Follow Along, Weekend Bloggy Reading, What’s Shakin’, Anything Goes, Pin Me Linky Party, That’s Fresh Friday, Tickled Pink Times Two, Get Crafty Friday, Craftastic Monday, Marvelous Monday,Monday Funday,Craft O Matic , Busy Monday, What Did You Do This Weekend, Masterpiece Mondays, Sweet Sharing Monday,