Sunday night I baked a large patch of gingerbread cookies, a really large batch. I used the cookies for three different reasons.
#1- Elf on the Shelf Gingerbread Houses-Some of the kindergarten teachers at school have Elf on the Shelfs. I wish the Elf had been around when my girls were little. I love the creativity of it and the magic. I have seen the posts on Pinterest about the Elf. I had all this gingerbread,but I needed bake lots of cookies, wash clothes, clean the house, get ready for Christmas, but no I spent over an hour making Elf on the Shelf houses. I had sooo much fun! It was a truly creative for no good reason, my favorite kind of creative. I took them to school and gave them to good Elf homes.
#2 -Cookie Party- Another reason I made such a large batch of cookies is that we were having a cookie decorating party as school. It was fun to see how creative everyone was. It was also a relaxed atmosphere and a good time to get to know everyone better.
#3- Fund raiser for Relay For Life. Lisa (my co-counselor) and I believe in the work done by Relay for Life. If you don’t know about Relay check this link out: www.relayforlife.org/. I can’t say enough good things about Relay for Life, not only does it raise money for cancer research and prevention, it empowers survivors, grieving families and gives the community a voice in this awful fight. It is a tangible way to support those who are suffering from and because of this awful disease. Relay also unites communities in a shared purpose which is very powerful.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Butterscotch Instant Pudding
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- BEAT butter, sugar, dry pudding mix and egg in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Mix remaining ingredients. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness; cut into gingerbread shapes with 4-inch cookie cutter, rerolling trimmings. Place, 2 inches apart, on baking sheets sprayed with cooking spray.
- BAKE 10 to 12 min. or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 3 min. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Decorate as desired.