This week for Whip It Up Wednesday I decided to try a recipe that I found in Southern Living! You can see the recipe here!
- 3 cups pecan halves and pieces
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- Line bottom and sides of a 13- x 9-inch pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides. Lightly grease foil.
- Pulse flour and next 3 ingredients in a food processor 5 to 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press mixture on bottom and 3/4 inch up sides of prepared pan.
- Bake crust at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle chocolate morsels over crust. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).
- Whisk together brown sugar and next 3 ingredients until smooth; whisk in bourbon. Stir in coconut and toasted pecans, and spoon into prepared crust.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and set. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Chill 1 hour. Lift baked bars from pan, using foil sides as handles. Transfer to a cutting board; cut into bars.
Since I have never made these before and by nature I am a directions follower I followed the directions pretty closely! I started off by chopping up my pecans. I do not like pecan halves on my pecan pies or anything. I like my pecans chopped up in all baked goods! After I chopped them I put them on the tray to bake for around 10 minutes. It made my whole apartment smell wonderful!
I set these aside and took my 13×9 pan and put foil in it. I made the crust by mixing the flour, powdered sugar, cold butter, and unsweetened cocoa. I then layered the bottom with this. The recipe says to press the mixture on bottom and 3/4 inch up sides of prepared pan. I then stuck it in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
Once this was baked I put a layer of the chocolate chips on top of the hot crust while it was cooling. I waited about 30 minutes for this to cool.
Once, this was cooled I mixed together the brown sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, and eggs. Once this was smooth I added the coconut and pecans. This had the consistency of a pecan pie so thats kind of what I was looking for. I then layered this on top of the crust and melted chocolate chips.
I put it in the oven for 25 minutes. I let it cool for an hour and then I put it in the refrigerator overnight. The recipe says you only have to let it chill for an hour but I only ever bake at the last minute so of course it was later when I got to this step! In the morning I took the bars out and used the foil to take it out of the pan and lay it out.
I then cut it up into bars and it was ready!!
These are super delicious but you have to be really dedicated because there is a lot of hurry up and wait in the recipe. I think they are completely worth it though! Thanks for coming over to Whip It Up Wednesday!
Linked up with:
We did it Wednesday, ASWC Together, Lovely Ladies, Wonderful Wednesday, Wow Me Wednesday, Fall Into Fall, Dandelion Wishes, Wow Us Wednesday, Rock N’Share, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Well Crafted Wednesday, Wonderful Food, Whatever Goes, Work It Wednesday, Catch a Glimpse, Live Laugh Linky, A Creative Princess, Project Stash, The Blog Stalker, All Things Thursday, Create It Thursday, Thrifty to Nifty, Sweet Haute, Twirl and take a Bow, Thrifty Thursday, Pin It Party, Let’s Get Real, The Weekend Re-Treat All Things Thursday, Create It Thursday, Thrifty to Nifty, Sweet Haute, Twirl and take a Bow, Thrifty Thursday, Pin It Party, Let’s Get Real, The Weekend Re-Treat, Foodie Friends Friday,
Redoux Interior, Inspire Me Please, Tickled Pink, Inspiration Spotlight, Fancy This Friday, TGIF Link Party, Freedom Friday, TGIF Link Party Living Better Together, Weekend Bloggy Reading, What’s Shakin, Anything Goes, The Fun in Functional, Pin Me Linky Party, Fridays Five Features, That’s Fresh Friday, Pinworthy Project Party, What we Love Wednesday, Best of the Weekend, Strut Your Stuff, Friday Follow Along, It’s Fall Y’all, Fall Into the Holidays, Show Off Friday, Think Pink,Saturday Show and Tell, Link It Or Lump It, Bouquet of Talent, Suburbs Mama Sunday Link Party, Think Pink Sunday, DIY Sunday Showcase, Silver Pennies Sundays, It’s Party Time, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Pin It Monday, Inspiration Monday,Sweet Tea Social, Craft-O-Maniac, Block Party, Craftastic Monday, Inspire Me Monday, Marvelous Monday, Pin It Monday, Monday Funday, Creative Monday, Busy Monday, What’d You Do This weekend?, Masterpiece Monday, Inspiration Monday, Making Monday, Made By You, Sweet Sharing Monday, Much Ado About Monday, Mindful Mommy, Finding the Pretty & Delicious, Creative Corner, Give Me The goods, The DIYer, Make It Pretty Monday, Time To Sparkle, The Scoop, Tuesdays At Our Home, Share Your Stuff Tuesdays, Your’e Gonna Love It Tuesday,Take-a-Look, Share Your Stuff Tuesday, Tell Us Tuesday, Consider Me Inspire,Tell Me Tuesday, Talking Tuesday,In and Out of the Kitchen, Project Inspired, Tuesday ToDo, Pincentive Blog Hop, Brag About It, Tasteful Tuesday, Inspire Me, Tweak It Tuesday, Twirl and take a Bow, Share It Link Party, One Project at a Time, Create it or Bake it, Well Crafted Wednesday
If you’d like to see all the places we party visit our Where I Party! Page.