A couple weeks ago I went to the Texas State Fair and since then I’ve been dreaming about funnel cakes! So I decided why not try to make one! I started looking at recipes I could use and I found this awesome pumpkin recipe from Something Swanky that I couldn’t resist, because truthfully who can resist pumpkin funnel cake!!
Here is the recipe that is on her blog:
1 quart oil for frying
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup powdered sugar mixed + 1 tsp cinnamon for dusting
- Place the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, egg, brown sugar, pumpkin puree (or 100% pure pumpkin), milk, and pumpkin pie spice until a smooth batter forms.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Check oil– if you have a thermometer, it should be around 375º. If you don’t have a thermometer, flick a couple of water droplets in the oil. It should bubble, but not pop out of the pan.
- Scoop about 1/2 cup (it should be a little less than 1/2 cup, since a lot of it will stick to the measuring cup) into a gallon sized ziptop bag.
- Snip off a small corner of the bag and pipe the batter into the hot oil in a circular pattern. Let fry for a few seconds, until golden brown on the bottom, and then turn over (using a fork or tongs). Let fry for a few more seconds until golden brown.
- Remove the funnel cake with a fork or tongs and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Dust with the cinnamon powdered sugar and enjoy warm!
- Repeat process with remaining batter (I was able to use the same bag for all of the batter by simply placing the bag in a shallow bowl. When I spooned the batter into the bag opening, it didn’t ooze out of the hole, because the bag is sort of laying on itself. Just carefully pick it up, pinching the corner with the hole until you’re ready to pipe it into the oil.)
This was such a fun recipe to make! I followed her recipe pretty closely since I’ve never made a funnel cake before!
Once I got all my ingredients together I started mixing the batter. I mixed flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, egg, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, milk, and pumpkin pie spice into a bowl. While I was doing this I also put the oil in a pan on medium to get it warming up.
Once all this was done I put the batter into a big zip lock bag. In the recipe it says to do one at a time in the zip lock bag, but I just put all the batter in there at once. In between funnel cakes I just laid it to the side on a plate.
Once the batter and oil were ready I started making funnel cakes! I will say that making it look like a funnel cake was not as easy as I thought it would be. The batter does its own thing in the oil, but I got the hang of it quick!
I let it cook until I thought it was brown on one side and then I flipped it. On one of them it was harder to flip because I still had some soft batter on one side. I don’t think the tongs I used were made for funnel cakes. Once I got both sides brown they were ready to serve!
I added powdered sugar and they were ready! I will say these are awesome if you like funnel cake and pumpkin! Thanks for coming over to Whip It Up Wednesday!
Linked up with:
Wonderful Food Wednesday, We Did It! Wednesday, ASWC Together, Lovely Ladies, Wonderful Wednesday, Wow Me Wednesday, DIY By Design, Dandelion Wishes, Rock N’ Share, Wine’d Down Wednesday, Well Craft Wednesday, Create It or Bake It, Whatever goes Wednesday, Wow Us Wednesday, Work It Wednesday, Whip It Up Wednesday, Catch a Glimpse, Live Laugh Linky, A Creative Princess, Project Stash, The Blog Stalker, All Things Thursday, Create It Thursday, Sweet Haute, Thrifty Thursday, The Pin It Party, DIY Weekend, Friday Follow Along Party, Let’s Get Real,Be Inspired, Show and Tell Friday, Shabbilious Friday, Tickled Pink, Great Ideas, Show and Tell, Let’s Get Real, Inspiration Spotlight, Flannel Friday, Freedom Fridays, Inspire Me Please, Frugal Friday, Foodies Friend Friday, Show Off Friday, Fridays Five Features, Fancy This Friday, Family Fun Friday, TGIF Link Party, Saturday Sparks, Get Schooled Saturday, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Bouquet of Talent, Funcky Junk, Saturday Show and Tell, Link It Or Lump It, Bouquet of Talent, Suburbs Mama Sunday Link Party, Think Pink Sunday, DIY Sunday Showcase, Silver Pennies Sundays, It’s Party Time, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Pin It Monday, Saturday Night Fever, Sweet Tea Social, Inspiration Monday, Inspire Me Monday, Marvelous Monday, Block Party, Craftastic Monday, Monday Funday, Creative Monday, Craft-O-Maniac Monday, Busy Monday, Masterpiece Monday, Making Monday, Sweet Sharing Monday, Much Ado About Monday, Mindful Mommy Monday, What’d You Do This Weekend, Miscellany Monday, Give Me The Goods, Creative Corner Hop, Make It Pretty, Trick Or Treat Party, The DIYer, The Scoop, Tuesdays At Our Home, Share Your Stuff Tuesdays, Your’e Gonna Love It Tuesday, Brag About It, Take-a-Look, Share Your Stuff Tuesday, Tell Us Tuesday, Consider Me Inspire,Tell Me Tuesday, Talking Tuesday, All My Bloggy Friends, Share It Linky Party, Pintastic Tuesday, From Dreams to Reality,A Stroll Thru Life, Project Inspire, Tweak It Tuesday, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, In and Out of the Kitchen, Tuesday To Do, Pincentive Blog Hop, Tasteful Tuesday, Twirl and Take a Bow, One Project at a Time
If you’d like to see all the places we party visit our Where I Party! Page.